The stochastic logistic population model described in this blog post has become my default exercise when I'm exploring a new programming language (Racket, F#, Rust). I ended that Rust post by noting that I was interested in Rust as a modern alternative for scientific computing and thought it would be a good learning exercise to re-write small legacy Fortran programs in Rust. In the process of looking for Fortran programs to translate to Rust, though, I found myself becoming more interested in the idea of learning Fortran than Rust, particularly after learning about the efforts to improve the tooling around Fortran (e.g., here and here). So, here we are...exploring Fortran via the stochastic population model exercise.
I keep my eye out for blog posts illustrating data analysis tasks in R that I can use to test the functionality of my
dataframe libraries for Chez Scheme . A post comparing
pandas (Python) and
dplyr (R) in a basic analysis of the gapminder dataset provides a nice little test case. In this post, I will also include base R code used to accomplish the same tasks as a contrast to both the Scheme code and the
dplyr code from the other post.
I recently came across this blog post on writing simple test programs in different programming languages as a way to get a feel for a language. At the bottom of the post, there were links to articles on implementations of a number guessing game in 13 different languages, including Fortran. I was curious about the Fortran example because I've been interested in learning a little Fortran after hearing about efforts to improve the tooling around Fortran (e.g., here and here). Well, the Fortran example was written in Fortran 77 so I decided that re-writing it in modern Fortran would be a nice little exercise.
I learned a lot about Scheme by writing a few Chez Scheme libraries and I expect that there is more to learn by trying to use those libraries (e.g., EDA in Chez Scheme). A blog post about a stochastic simulation of spam comments in R caught my eye as an interesting example to test my
As I spent a little time learning F# over the last few months, I found that it wasn't holding my attention. My interest in F# was based on the idea that I could write more robust code (via static typing) than in R and that I could more easily turn that code into web or desktop applications. I still think that F# could be a valuable tool to add to my toolbox, but I encountered just enough friction that I wasn't having fun with it. My primary point of frustration is that so much material for learning F# assumes that you already know C# and .NET. Plus, the roll out of .NET 5 and F# 5 this fall, while exciting, creates a period of increased confusion for beginners.
In three previous posts, I wrote about different programming languages that I have considered learning. I mentioned about 15 different languages in those posts. F# was not on the list. Because my background is in R, I thought I was better off sticking to learning dynamically typed languages at this point. Moreover, I hold a longstanding bias against Microsoft and Windows and that bias was easy to transfer to F#.
When I started learning Scheme, I took the common approach of learning a new language by implementing features from familiar languages (namely R). That approach sent me down the path of writing the
dataframe libraries and porting
gnuplot-pipe from Chicken to Chez Scheme. Those three libraries now allow me to conduct simple exploratory data analysis (EDA) in Chez Scheme that should be feel relatively familiar to R programmers. In this post, I will work through a simple example, which mostly serves to reinforce how much better suited R is for these types of tasks.
This post is part of a series on the dataframe library for Chez Scheme. In this post, I will contrast the
dataframe library with functions from base R and the
dplyr package for modifying and aggregating dataframes.
Akku is a package manager for Scheme that currently supports numerous R6RS and R7RS Scheme implementations . I was slow to embrace Akku because I encountered some initial friction with installation and setup. Moreover, coming from R, I was more familiar with a global package management model than Akku's project-based workflow. In the meantime, I was content to manually manage the few libraries that I had downloaded from different repos and placed in a directory found by Chez's
As an impatient person, I typically use progress bars for any code that takes more than a few minutes to run. In a previous post, I wrote about creating ASCII progress bars in R and Racket. The Racket version depended on the
raart module, which "provides an algebraic model of ASCII that can be used for art, user interfaces, and diagrams." Because I'm not aware of any such library for Chez Scheme , I was left feeling stuck.